If one of your business goals for the new year is to start a social media campaign – or be more consistent with your current one, then I have FIVE tips to get your creativity rolling!
- Understand your platform and how users engage on that platform. If you aren’t sure what platform to use, ask your favorite customers what platforms they are currently on. To understand how consumers interact on social media, this chart depicts some interesting information (published December 2018 in Hubspot). The first column tells the social media platform, the second column is the consumers main reason for why they use that platform and the third & fourth columns showcase low and high performing content, respectively. Put some thought into what platform you are on and what resonates with the audience of that platform.
- No matter what platform you choose, develop a plan. Successful social media campaigns start with a basic road map to help an overall vision. It doesn’t have to be a fancy one to start, but it’s important to sit down once per week or once per month (whatever works best for you) and draft ideas of what content you want to post. A good goal when starting out is to commit to posting 2-3 times per week.
- Not sure what to say? I find the 80/20 rule to be a helpful guide for my clients. A lot of clients think only about sales of their product(s), but your strategy should be mostly interaction & story-telling and only a portion sales. Meaning, 80% of your posts should revolve around telling your company story (or your personal story, depending on what you are selling), showcasing your brand personality, posting something humorous that people can relate to, inspirational quotes and finding ways to engage with your audience (giveaways, interacting with your audience, etc). 20% of the posts can be about your products/services. When you post about your products, put yourself in the shoes of your customer. What questions/problems/issues do they have that you can help solve? Make sure you make a clear call to action on your sales posts (i.e. Struggling with developing consistent, meaningful content on social media? Contact Katie at Freyday Freelance – firstname.lastname@example.org….shameless plug, I know)!
- Try new things and ways to interact with your audience! Try posting a video, go Live on Facebook, put together an Instagram Story. Especially with video, it’s uncomfortable at first, but it’s a way for your audience to feel like they know you. It’s all part of the process – they have to know about you, then like you, then trust you….all in order to buy from you! Have fun with the process and don’t put too much pressure on yourself. You will make mistakes, but that’s how you are going to learn!
- Monitor & evaluate on a consistent basis. I like to review the analytics/insights of my client’s pages on a quarterly basis. We visit the overall interaction and look for patterns or interesting discoveries. Then that helps set the stage for future posts. If something seems to be working, you want to do more of it!
As you build out your plan for 2019, start simple and just commit. I promise, you will see results if you stick with it and you will learn along the way! Happy Posting!